Our commitment to our Athletes, Our Communities, and Our Planet
Current Sustainability Initiatives
- Leftover food that was not used during the event is donated to Chicago area charities, safe houses and school volunteer groups.
- It can be chilly before the start of the race and many athletes wear ear jackets, sweatshirts and pants to stay warm while waiting for the event to start. We encourage athletes to wear clothing they wish to donate as any clothing that is discarded at the start line is donated to Chicago area charities after the event.
- Any leftover medals are donated to local charity groups and organizations. Previously we hosted a competition at our official charity partner, the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s Summer Camp and awarded kids with our leftover medals. If your group or charity is interested in receiving leftover medals, please contact us.
Future Sustainability Goals
- Reduce single use plastic and water station supplies
- Composting available on site
How You Can Help
- The event location, Maggie Daley Park, is within close walking distance to many public transit hubs and stops and we encourage athletes to do their part by taking public transit. The Chicago Public Transportation system is the perfect way for athletes and spectators to get to and from the event and around the city sustainably. We will provide detailed information